Happy 2018 friends! I thought it would be a fun wrap up to 2017 to discuss my favorite products, items, music, books, and general stuffs of the year.
Let me know on Twitter @noireandco what your faves of 2017 were!
- Pencil Pouch: I love stationery a lot and over the past few years I’ve accumulated quite a collection of ink pens, brush pens, highlighters, and pencils. I think this pouch is supposed to be a travel bag of some kind, but it fits my purposes really well. Despite the fact I have 40 pens inside of it, I still have room to spare. Plus, it’s made of a really durable material that can withstand my constant usage.
- Face Masks: As someone with a long history of skin picking, face masks have been a Godsend this year to quell picking my skin. In 2017, I’ve been trying to change my relationship with my skin by reframing contact with my skin in a more positive way. So I invest a lot in my skincare, specifically in maintaining clear skin to avoid picking . My favorite face masks are the Tony Moly ones sold at Urban Outfitters because they have a 2 face masks for $5 deal.
- Russian Red by MAC: For my 21st birthday, I wanted to recreate this picture of Rihanna. After visiting the MAC counter and hearing that Ruby Woo is a super dry formula, the makeup artist recommended Russian Red. This color is absolutely gorgeous. The color is a true red with a really comfortable matte formula. I think that the color would be really flattering on a lot of different skin tones, but especially for darker skin people of color, I think the color would be a really nice red. I’ve worn this color a ton in the last 3 months of 2017 as a statement and as a casual color because it’s so lovely/wearable
- Tartelette Toasted Palette: This year I’ve been looking for a colorful, but still wearable palette. The Tartelette Toasted palette has been a good option for me to do more exciting looks in warm oranges, reds, and browns. The mattes in this palette are easy to use and blendable, the shimmers are pretty vibrant, and I find that most of the colors show up on my skin tone (if you’re brown you understand the struggle). My favorite colors in the palette are sunset for all over the lid color and fireside for a rich brown in the outer v.
- Eden Bodyworks Coconut Shea Leave-In Conditioner: I love love love love love this leave-in for so many reasons. 1) it’s a black owned business 2) it has amazing slip #) it detangles my 4a/b/c hair so easily 4) it smells super good 5) despite my thick hair, it lasts a super long time. If you have natural hair, I 100% recommend you give this product a go for soft, manageable hair throughout the week.
- Pixi Glow Tonic: I use this every single morning and every time I use it I’m still taken aback by how bright/radiant my skin looks. It’s a chemical exfoliant, so the acids help to break up dead skin leaving you with a brighter complexion. When I apply makeup after using the tonic, I feel like my whole look is a lot better. 10/10 would recommend.
- Vaseline Lip Therapy: I despise chapped lips and I think this is the best product to keep my lips moisturized in the winter. It’s super moisturizing and long lasting.
- Fujifilm Instax Mini 9 Polaroid: I don’t use my polaroid often because the film is pricey, but it’s a fun item to bring when I hang out with friends. The aesthetic pictures are always a nice way to memorialize a night out.
- Muji Capped Gel-Ink Pens: I just got these for Christmas (thanks nerd!!!) and I looove them. I have a lot of pens, but these are some of the smoothest that I own. If you’re into taking really nice notes/have a penchant for stationery/want affordable pens in a ton of colors, I think you’ll really like these pens.
- Laptop Stickers: One of my lovely friends was kind enough to buy me a bunch of laptop stickers and they’re one of my favorite things this year. They add a lot of character to my laptop and look super cute.
- Truth Hurts by Lizzo: This is one of my favorite songs by Lizzo. Her music is upbeat and empowering. It’s feel good music that puts me in a good mood and makes me feel really happy! pluuus she’s a body positive, unapologetically Black woman!!
- Thunder Thighs by Miss Eaves: In a similar vein, Thunder Thighs by Miss Eaves (in addition to her entire album Feminasty) is just the kind of girl power, self-love, body-positivity kind of music I need nowadays. Thunder Thighs has some amazing lyrics and an intoxicating beat that has made it for sure one of my most listened to songs of 2017.
- The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss: The Name of the Wind is a fun fantasy series framed within a story being told. Despite the length of the novel, it’s really enrapturing and doesn’t fall into my least favorite fantasy trope of absurd made up place/people names. If you can ignore that the main character is a bit of a Mary Sue, stick with it because the engaging plot and world building makes up for it!
And those are all my favorites of 2017! If you have any product recommendations or thoughts, let me know! I would love to get more product/music/book suggestions.